I think that in a way being a good photographer is not only capturing the reality as it is, is making the reality a better place to be. Making a photo of a place and when you see it in the screen the true beauty of the place is captured, maybe most of the people are not able to see the beauty or the amazing things happening around the corner. But I think seeing the beauty of the things is something that can be trainned. And I am working on this.
Its quite often that people tell you that you can take nice pictures because you have a great camera and you travel a lot. I don´t think that is what make good pictures, its about the eye, about finding the “happy light” (best lighiting time for some place), finding the angle, telling a story, getting close. All those things are totally trained and can be done buy just going around the corner. But its about seeing, not just snapping pictures around like a crazy monkey with a shotgun, its about paying attention on your surroundings.
This year I took my holidays at Uruguay (my home country) as always and I dediced to take some touring around, and make some pictures. Looking at the things that everybody see everyday with a different perspective, made some of my pictures quite popular between my uruguayan friends. I hope that they remember with these photos how beautiful is Uruguay, the nature, the sea, and the sunsets are amazing here.
Some tips that I learnt while making some landscapes pictures during my holiday:
- Try not to take crowded shots. Keep it simple, don´t put a lot of distracting items in your pictures.
- Frame it properly, avoid extra information in the picture, if there is something that shouldnt be there, try to avoid it during taking the picture. Keep it simple.
- Find a proper light time. For example sunsets are good time for shooting landscapes, it gives a great atmosphere to the picture
- Get close to your subject if you are shooting some special element. Keep it simple, get close.
- Make layers. When shooting a landscape, try to find different layers of interesting things happening in the picture. But don´t forget, keep it simple.
- Put some human element in the picture. Sometimes adding some person to a landscape makes it more lively and interesting.
- Try to find patterns.
- If you are shooting waterfalls use some long exposure. Helps to make the water soft and more flowy.
- Try to shoot a good picture, avoid editing a lot of things during post processing.
What else you can add?